Please read all the way to the bottom.
We understand these rules are long; but when managing homes for others,
the rules need to be clear & concise for everyone.
The person booking the home and paying the deposit is in charge and responsible for their guests,
so make sure your guests know the description of the home, and these rental terms.
Northern Properties reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.
- Check availability before you book a home. Each home has its own calendar & our calendars ARE up to date! A WEEK IS 7 NIGHTS. Some homes require a full week (Sunday-Sunday OR Saturday-Saturday), and some are flexible and only require a 3 night minimum. (requirements are posted on homes pages) If you see availability for only 6 nights you can get a reduced rate for those days, please inquire!
- We do not take reservations more that one year in advance as to honor any repeat customers. If you are staying at one of our homes and would like to re-book for the following year, be sure to stop in our office during your stay, or book on the day of your departure to guarantee your dates.
- Online Bookings still have to be approved by management, and do not give rates. The email that you get immediately after booking a home is not from a real person, it is automatic. Once management receives notification of your online booking you will receive a confirmation with your rates and balance due, along with an attached copy of our agreement form to be filled out and returned.
- Do not book online if you plan to arrive within 2 days. Your reservation may not be confirmed, and you may not have a place to stay. Please call and book over the phone instead!
- There is a flat cleaning fee that applies to all rentals less than one week. The rates posted on the website DO NOT include tax.
- After making a reservation, fax, email, or mail the agreement form. You will find the mailing information on the bottom of form. Reservations are not final until a deposit is paid, and there is a credit card and agreement form on file. Agreement forms are now a 'one time' form and are good for all return customers and will only need updated if any information changes. *Deposits go toward the balance due. The remaining balance is due at CHECK IN.
- If you make a reservation and don't show up, you are responsible for the entire balance. We can not give refunds for early departures. (when booking we reserve your requested dates for you, making them no longer available for other potential guests)
CLICK HERE FOR THE CHECK-IN PROCEDURE Please know the check-in procedure before you leave home!
For a list of things to bring, CLICK HERE
Deposits & Cancellation Policy- A deposit is a partial payment on a home that we agree to save for you. While holding the home for you, we have turned others away. You will be asked to sign an agreement form stating that you understand our policy. Please understand that you commit to your reservation at the time of making deposit, not when you sign the agreement form. We do not operate like a hotel. Please read the Rental Terms and Cancellation Policy.
*WE CAN NOT REFUND DEPOSITS FOR CANCELLATIONS UNLESS THEY ARE MADE A MINIMUM OF ONE WEEK PRIOR TO YOUR ARRIVAL DAY.
(exceptions will be made in the event a home is to re-book)
Canceling during Peak Season: Weekly and Daily Rental: Deposits are non-refundable unless we are able to fill your spot. There is a minimal cancellation fee, depending on the home you rented.
Canceling during Off Peak Season: Weekly and Daily Rental: Deposits are refundable, minus a cancellation/booking fee. That fee could be $50 or $100, depends on the home that you rented, and length of your stay.
We are sorry for the inconvenience, but if a home is being held for you, we have already turned people away.
PEAK SEASON IS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THROUGH LABOR DAY WEEKEND. OFF PEAK IS ALL OTHER TIMES.
Weekly rentals are $250 or $500, depending on the home. Deposit amounts can be found on the homes page.
Daily rentals are $150
If you pay your deposit online and use a debit card or Echeck, there will be a delay. Paypal does not notify us until it clears, which means you may lose out on your home!
Please notify us so we can make arrangements to save the dates for you until it clears. Using a credit card will be immediate!
If you would like to send payments to put towards your reservation; the address is below.
- Make checks payable to Northern Properties
- Mail to: 29507 E Channel Rd, Drummond Island, MI 49726
Sales Tax- 6% Michigan sales tax and 5% room tax will be added to all rentals.
Pay online at the button below! You can use a Paypal account, or most credit cards.
Checking out- Check-Out time is 9am during peak season, 10am during Off peak. If you know that you are departing earlier than 9am, please let us know so we can schedule accordingly.
Housekeeping will show up shortly after check out time. If your unapproved late check-out interferes with our housekeeping schedule, your card on file will be charged at a rate of $50 per hour.
Guests are expected to perform reasonable cleaning during your stay, there is a check list HERE.
Trash Removal - Please have your trash in the garbage cans outside of the home, we will come by during the week to collect it. (Weekly stays only) We will not collect trash that is too large for the can, or trash containing animal remains. Your credit card will be billed for any trash that we could not dispose of in our regular dumpster. If you throw fish guts in the garbage, there will be a fee to remove it!
Pet Friendly Homes - If you are allergic to pets; DO NOT book a home that allows pets.
Trailers & Extra Vehicles- It is your responsibility to ask about parking. Some homes will not accommodate extra vehicles or trailers.
Non-Smoking Homes - ALL OF OUR HOMES ARE NOW NON-SMOKING. If you or your guests smoke inside of a home; you will be billed for the cost to restore the home to 'non-smoking'. Costs involved might be: washing all blankets & pillows, window treatments, furniture, and for the labor.
Capacity & Guests - Do not go over the amount of people that is allowed in the home. Kids are considered people too, other than babies in cribs. No campers allowed. Please get permission ahead of time for guests & pets arriving during the week.
Neighbors - Please remember that your rental home is located in a quiet neighborhood. No loud parties after 11pm, no fireworks, no trespassing on property that is not part of your rental home. If you are not sure, please ask!
NOT Allowed- Fireworks, Air conditioners or extra heaters, campers or tents. No driving on the lawn with any motorized vehicle.
Dog Policy and Fees
- Each unit lists whether or not pets are allowed.
- All pets must be approved, we reserve the right to refuse any pet or more than 1 pet.
- There is a charge $10 per day/per pet.
- If you bring a pet and do not report it your credit card on file will be charged accordingly.
- If you bring a pet to a "no pet home" you will be asked to leave immediately, and will be charged a fee of $200.
- You must clean up after your pet, inside and outside.
- Pets are NOT ALLOWED on the beds or furniture. Blankets that are left with pet hair that doesn't wash out, are no longer useable by other guests! You will be billed for replacement costs!
- Pets are NOT to be left at homes alone unless crated!
- Any damages caused by a pet will be billed to the card on file.
Please note: We love pets and would like to allow them in all homes, but some owners would prefer not to & We have to honor this. Our pet policy is not because we think your pet will misbehave, it's because of pet hair, messes, and scents that each pet leaves behind. We know that you are bringing your pet on vacation because he is part of the family, and is well behaved.
Boats & Dock space - If your rental home says it comes with a free fishing boat, they are 14 foot aluminum boats with NO MOTOR. You can bring a motor, or rent one. Northern Properties does not own motors; we would be happy to help you find one to rent.
Please do not show up with a boat without talking to us regarding water levels, and size of the dock. We cannot guarantee that the dock at your rental home will accommodate your boat, or that the water level is high enough. Most of the rental home docks will only hold ONE boat.
We can help you find a fishing boat or pontoon to rent. The homes do not have ramps. (other than Bavarian Chalet, Molly and Cedarside, they all have a launch on site) You'll have to put the boat in at a Marina. Northern Properties does not deliver boats. If you rent a boat from a Marina you are responsible for making arrangements with them. When you check in, we will show you a map of where your home is, and where the business is that you rented the boat from.
If you are bringing your own boat; you are responsible for the safety of it, and the equipment in it. If you feel the dock space that we have provided is inadequate, take your boat out of the water and DO NOT keep it there. Your insurance will have to cover damages, Michigan is a NO FAULT state, and the homeowners insurance will NOT cover your property.
Non-Sufficient Funds- A service charge of $30.00 will be charged for any NSF check. We can not re-deposit. You must send a certified check or money order for the amount of check + $30.00 fee.
Telephone, Internet and Satellite Pay Per View - Homes with a phone do not have long distance. You must use a calling card or call collect. Do not order Pay Per View channels on the Satellite TV. A $25.00 collection fee will be charged in addition to charges on a phone or satellite bill. The Library has internet access. The Tourism office has free wi-fi.
Hot Tub Units
- Supervise your children at all times, while using the hot tub.
- Hot tubs are not to be used as a pool. No diving/jumping. Water levels will go down and you will be charged for us to drive to the home and fill the tub.
- Your hot tub has been serviced for your arrival. The homes have well water; there may be white flakes in the tub that can be confused as sand/dirt.
- Northern Properties and the homeowners will not be held responsible for injuries that occur while using a hot tub; use of a hot tub is at your own risk.
- Do not bring items into the hot tub that can get caught in the filter, such as toys.
- If you damage a hot tub or hot tub cover, you will be held responsible for any charges that are incurred for fixing it.
- If you leave the hot tub excessively dirty, or we find clothing/toys in the filter, there will be a $45 fee for draining and cleaning the hot tub.
- Showering off before getting into the hot tub will help keep your tub clean.
- Hot tub covers are expensive to replace. When uncovering the tub, handle the cover carefully & be sure all straps are unclipped, do not sit/jump on the cover. They are only made of Styrofoam!
- Do not leave the cover off when not in use. The tub will get full of leaves/dirt.
- Try not to push the buttons on the control panel. If you need to adjust the temperature, just press that button. Pushing a sequence of buttons will put the tub in sleep mode and will not heat up!
Furnishings and Equipment - Each unit reflects the taste of it's owner. All homes are equipped with basic items such as linens, pillows, blankets, 1 Color TV, pots/pans, microwaves, toasters, coffee makers, dishes and anything you should need for preparing meals. Specialty items vary, call for details pertaining to each home.
In order to keep costs down, we do not require that home owners purchase new bedding and linens every season. We do try to weed out linens that have stains and holes. If you find something in the linens that should be thrown out, please leave a note for the cleaners or bring it to our office. You can help us by not using the linens for anything other than their intended purpose!
We supply a limited amount of towels, and 1 set of sheets for your weekly stay. Please do not use the extra sheets unless you are prepared to wash them. We supply enough toilet paper and paper towel to get you started, you are responsible for the rest of your stay. If you forgot something, the grocery store has everything you should need. If you forget your hair dryer or clothes iron, we have one you can borrow.
Damages, Issues, malfunctioning equipment- If there is a problem due to MALFUNCTIONING EQUIPMENT, report it immediately! Do not wait until your departure day to leave notes, as we may have been able to take care of it for you while you were here, and it could also affect the next guests. We will do our best to fix or replace malfunctioning items.
We want you to have a great vacation and ask that if you have any Issues to please report them ASAP so that we can help. Leaving notes or calling with complaints once you have departed does not give us the chance to do this. We do not issue refunds for problems with Satellite TV, phone, internet, VCR/DVD players, hot tubs, games/pool tables, dishwashers, or anything else that is not considered a necessity. We will make every effort to have repairs done ASAP, however there are limited service contractors in our area.
You will be held responsible for any damages to the rental home or property, caused by you or your guests. Homes are inspected after each guest. If any items are missing; you will be charged.
Keep in mind you are up North now, and we do have Spiders, snakes, raccoons, mice, etc. Please understand we do what we can for this not to be a problem, but can not be held responsible for what is out of our control.
Many homes have a locked closet that belongs to the owner. Tampering with locked doors will result in a charge to your credit card, and legal action by the owners!
These homes are privately owned and loved by its owner. Please take care of the home and the furnishings as if it was your own. Turning the heat up then opening the doors and windows is a waste of energy and money. Please help us keep our costs down so we don't have to raise rental rates.